What has changed and why do I think this?
My class is now 20 very enthusiastic and energetic students. So this had made a huge impact on the way we do reading groups now. The area where I have notice significant change in my teaching is in reading.
- I am finding that I am not getting enough time to listen to all my reading groups.
- The children are not getting the best out of their reading.
- I feel there is no quality reading coming from my students.
- The students are not enthusiastic about reading.
What did I change?
- I have made time in our day for me to read to the students so they can get excited about reading again with books they want to listen too.
- I don't try to get through 7 reading groups in 1 day however, my goal is 3-4 groups a day depending on absentees or just the general atmosphere in the room.
- There are benefits to taking home the same book for 2 nights (reading mileage, word recognition, knowledge of HFW)
- Students are not reading the book together. They are now reading pages of their book individually using 1-1 pointing using the Gwenneth Phillips reading strategy.
I know this is working because I am feeling a lot better about setting goals and expectations for myself and my students. The students are also making progress in their reading levels.