I had the opportunity to observe 'Reading' in 2 different classrooms. One was a year 1 class and most of the students in this class were my students from last year. I was very happy to see them in their new class and doing well in reading. The other class a year 6 class in a shared learning space. Observing other classes is great I was very inspired and have some ideas to take back into my class and my teaching.
Here are a few things I noticed:
Year 1 class
- Quiet and calm
- On task and engaged
- Using Gwenneth Phillips reading prompts
- Orientation with the text first
Year 6 class
- Noisy (busy and on task noisy)
- Observed high level independent reading group (Kiwifruits)
- Lots of discussion
- Lots of questions, "what made you think that?" "where is your evidence?"
- WALT 'Knowledge from information from the text'
- patiences and taking turns to speak.
- Encouragement and praise.