Friday, 9 October 2026

Better Start Literacy Approach

 

One of the things I have really enjoyed about BSLA is how it has changed the way I think about whole-class literacy teaching. I remember my own primary school days, when everyone read the same text and students were not grouped according to ability. When I later attended university as a mature student and began teaching, I found that students were commonly grouped according to their reading, writing and maths abilities. At first, I thought this was a great approach, but I soon realised how intense the workload could be. I often spent most of my weekends planning differentiated lessons because I wanted to make sure I was meeting the needs of every student. Through completing BSLA, I have really valued returning to the idea of the whole class working with the same text, while still being able to work with small groups and provide targeted support where needed. I have also noticed improvements in whole-class writing and students’ confidence with literacy. I have learned a great deal through BSLA and am really enjoying using structured literacy in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Better Start Literacy Approach

  One of the things I have really enjoyed about BSLA is how it has changed the way I think about whole-class literacy teaching. I remember m...